Larry J. Sabato
Dr. Sabato's Latest Book:
The Kennedy Half Century:
The Presidency, Assassination, and Lasting Legacy of John F. Kennedy
"Politics is a good thing!" … is the slogan of Dr. Larry J. Sabato.
In July 2008, Dr. Sabato correctly projected that Barack Obama would win the Presidency in a near-landslide. He predicted a 364-174 margin in the Electoral College, just one vote away from the final tally of 365-173, and he also forecast President Obama's exact 53% popular vote margin. Sabato's Crystal Ball continued its record of success in 2012, projecting a close popular vote by mid-summer. While other pundits and news commentators predicted a Romney victory, Sabato forecast a large Obama margin in the Electoral College, ultimately missing just two states.
- In addition, Dr. Sabato accurately predicted 98% of Senate, House, and Governor winners in, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012---by far the best showing in the business.
- In 2006, Dr. Sabato was named the most accurate prognosticator by an unusual combination of news organizations: FOX News, MSNBC, CNBC, and Pew's Project for Excellence in Journalism.
- In 2013, Dr. Sabato's weekly e-newsletter, the "Crystal Ball" was named one of the six best political websites by The Daily Beast.
At home both in the classroom and the television studio, Dr. Sabato bridges the gap between the ivory tower and the real world of politics.
- In 2013, Dr. Sabato won an Emmy Award from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences for the documentary "Out of Order", which he produced to highlight the dysfunctional U.S. Senate.
- He is the author of 24 books and countless essays on politics, including the well known Feeding Frenzy; A More Perfect Constitution; and The Year of Obama.
- A Rhodes Scholar, Dr. Sabato has taught more than 15,000 students in his career at Oxford University, Cambridge University, and the University of Virginia. He has received every major teaching award at the University of Virginia.
- In 2001 he was named the Thomas Jefferson Award winner, U.Va's highest honor, which is given to one person each year.
- Dr. Sabato is the University Professor of Politics and director of the U.Va. Center for Politics (www.centerforpolitics.org), founded in 1998 to improve civic education and the political process.